I’m not a fan of cauliflower.  Never have been.  However, we have been trying to eat a bit (okay, a lotta bit) healthier in this house, so we’ve been trying to make some of our favorite things a bit healthier.  Pizza is one of our favorite weekend eats.  At some point on the weekend, we eat pizza.  It’s just a given.   I knew that I needed to find a way to make this healthier, so to google I went!

I came up with pizza crust made from cauliflower.  I was leery.  Like plan another meal in the back of your head leery because you were sure that this was going to turn out badly.  I was wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust  Adapted from Eat. Drink. Smile.

-2 cups cooked, riced cauliflower

-1.5 cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese

-3 egg whites

-2 teaspoons garlic powder

-1 teaspoon dried oregano

-olive oil

To “rice” the cauliflower…cut off the stem and leaves from the head and chop florets up into manageable chunks.  Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower into small pieces.

You can also use a food processor for this…I don’t have one…I really need to get one.  If you use a food processor, be careful, you don’t want to end up with mush.  After the grating is done, cook the cauliflower in the microwave for 8 minutes.

To make the crust…Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix the 2 cups of cauliflower, cheese, egg whites, garlic powder and oregano together.

After mixed, pat mixture out on a pizza pan covered in parchment paper.  Brush a small amount of olive oil on top.

Cook for 15-18 minutes until crust has browned.

Remove immediately from oven and put sauce and toppings on pizza.I topped the crust with my go to sauce.  And then with some shredded grilled chicken, banana peppers, spinach and low-fat mozzarella cheese.

Put this under the broiler until the cheese has melted and browned a little bit.

Enjoy with a good movie and a glass of red!

This was a hit.  The Good Eats Guy has asked if he can go and buy more cauliflower so I will make this for dinner again tonight.  I need to brainstorm some new toppings for the pizza this evening!

Just beware….this isn’t a pick up a piece of pizza and eat it with your hands kind of pizza.  It’s a cut with your fork awesome kind of pizza.   I was in shock the entire time that we were eating it because it was good.  We both kept talking about how we couldn’t believe how well it turned out!

While enjoying our pizza we watched Moneyball.

If you haven’t seen this yet, watch it!  It was a really good movie!

Today we are going to watch a little football and clean the house.  I’m also going to figure out what else I can do with cauliflower…the options seem endless!

Have you made anything out of cauliflower that I should try??

Have a wonderful Sunday!

22 Responses to “Let’s talk cauliflower….”

1. Biz says:

I’ve made that before and while you can’t pick it up, the flavors are so great that you don’t mind using a knife and fork!

Have you made a Mexican pizza? Mix enchilada sauce and refried beans for the base. Add cooked chopped chicken, canned black beans and canned corn (that have been drained) and use pepper jack cheese.

When it comes out of the oven, let it sit for a minute and then add shredded lettuce over the top and salsa – its really good!

• admin says:

That sounds so good!!! The hubby wants this again, so tonight we are doing a Mexican inspired pizza, but it’s not exactly like yours! I’m writing down yours for next week to get the ingredients! YUM!

2. That is a genius idea and it looks delicious! My favorite recipe for cauliflower is this one:

3. Wow! That looks amazing!! Will definitely have to try this out. I like mashed cauliflower and roasted cauliflower. Not too inventive. But good!

4. Amanda says:

I’m working on my aversion to cauliflower as well. A friend made a cauliflower souffle for christmas that was really good. She didn’t have the recipe, but it worked for me since the cauliflower was cut into small pieces.

I’ve also heard you can mash it up and combine with mashed potatoes or as it’s own. Need to try that too.

5. Jamie says:

It actually looks really good! May have to try this next weekend!

6. I love cauliflower. I will roast a whole head of it, and then eat the whole thing, I think its so delicious. I’ve never used it in a dough like this though. It sounds amazing.

7. Tiffany says:

Wow, I love cauliflower but rarely buy it raw since I’m too lazy to chop and cook it lol. And I would have never thought to use it as the base of a pizza but I’m loving the idea of this. Adding it to my list!

8. Meg says:

Ok wow, I saw the recipe for a cauliflower crust and completely wrote it off because I thought no way would that be tasty! Guess I should try it out…

9. Mary says:

This looks pretty cool. I haven’t seen anything quite like it before. My friend has made a cauliflower mac n cheese that she swears by, so we’re trying that this week. I want to try the pizza now too!

• admin says:

I honestly was shocked by how great it was! We really liked it! I want to hear how the mac and cheese turns out…sounds interesting!!!

10. zesty says:

I have to say this is quite genius!! Good job…. my first time on your blog… I like it!!

11. [...] Sampling good eats from appetizers to sweets. « Let’s talk cauliflower…. [...]

12. I’d be leery too but I think it is a fantastic idea and it looks fantastic too!

13. Rachel says:

Hmm…I tried roasting cauliflower once to see if I’d like it…I suppose it might be tolerable if I put pizza toppings on it. I asked my husband if he’d be interested in trying it & I got a look of “Uh, if I have to…!” We should be eating healthier too, but I don’t know if I could get away with making this!

14. [...] all of the cauliflower pizza crust we have made, we had some riced cauliflower left over, so I figured I needed to do something with it [...]

15. Jamie says:

Hey there! I wrote the original cauli crust recipe from which Eat.Drink.Smile borrowed and you tweaked.

That said, question: Does it hold together well with the new ratios? My ratios are 1 cup cauli : 1 cup cheese : 1 egg, and it seems to be really stable and able to be held in your hands. Once you change the ratios, does it hold up as well? In my experience, it seems the more cauli and the less cheese, the more it became like a casserole. Here’s the original for comparison: http://yourlighterside.com/recipe-the-original-cauliflower-pizza-dough-2/

Love your site!

Fondly,
    Jamie
    Your Lighter Side

• admin says:

We liked it just fine! Thought it was good enough to make two nights in a row! That being said, it’s not a pick up and eat kind of pizza…we cut it with a fork. The taste was amazing though! We’ll be making it again.

I’ll give your recipe a shot at some point and see how we like it!

Autumn